Satyricon is a Norwegian black metal band.SATYRICON GENRES
Satyricon credit their first album, Dark Medieval Times, with starting a black metal sub-genre of medieval metal. The album showed off the fascination Satyricon had with the Middle Ages, along with the extreme metal mixed with acoustic guitar and flute.
Satyricon's third album, Nemesis Divina, contains norwegian black metal with influences of medieval metal. This album contains the song Mother North.
Regarding their album, Volcano, the frontman of the band, Satyr, stated in a press release/biography, published on their homepage, that "the music is rock based but more extreme; it is black metal pushing the boundaries that began with bands like Venom and Bathory, reinventing ourselves based on a foundation of rock oriented Black Metal is our philosophy." It resulted in a total of 4 Awards for Volcano being, the Norwegian Grammy for "Best Metal Album", an Alarm award for "Fuel For Hatred" in the category for "Song of the Year", as well as The Alarm Award for "Metal Album of the Year" and not the least, The Oslo awards for "Best Overall Album".
Most recently, the band released a new studio album, Now, Diabolical. The album is generating a great degree of controversy in the black-metal underground, due to its straightforward, "radio-friendly" take on the genre. The album is selling extraordinarily well, however, even outside of black-metal circles.
SATYRICON LYRICAL THEMES
Nature, Apocalypse, Anti-Christian
Norway (Oslo), formed in 1990
SATYRICON CURRENT RECORD LABEL
Century Media / Roadrunner
SATYRICON CURRENT LINE-UP
Satyr (Sigurd Wongraven) - Vocals, Bass, Guitars, Keyboards (Storm, Thorns (Nor), Eibon (US))
Frost (Kjetil Vidar Haraldstad) - Drums (1349, Zyklon-B (Nor), ex-Keep of Kalessin, ex-Gorgoroth, ex-Gehenna (Nor))
Steinar "Azarak" Gundersen - Guitars (Spiral Architect, ex-Lunaris, ex-King's Quest)
Schoft - Guitars (Brutus (Hol), Saeculum)
Jonna Nikula - Keyboards
Victor Brandt - Bass (Dominion (Swe), Totalt Jï¿½vla Mï¿½rker (Swe))
SATYRICON PREVIOUS LINE-UP
- Lemarchand (Hï¿½vard Jï¿½rgensen) (Ulver)
- Kveldulv (Nocturno Culto) (Darkthrone)
- A.O Gronbech (Arnt Grï¿½nbech, AKA Obsidian C.) (tour member) (Keep of Kalessin)
- Cyrus - (Terje Andersen) (Old Man's Child, Crownfall, Susperia, Sensa Anima) - session
- Death (Dï¿½d) (Daniel Olaissen) (Blood Red Throne, Scariot, Cobolt 60, Depths of Catharsis)
Information: Was a session member in Satyricon for almost 3 years (1996-1999), done riff contribution on "Havoc Vulture" and "Tied In Bronze Chains" ("Rebel Extravaganza" album).
- Neddo (Anders Odden) (Apoptygma Berzerk, Asmodeus (Nor), Balvaz, Baphomet (Nor), Cadaver Inc, Ebola (Nor), Germ, Go-Go Gorilla, Hydr Hydr, Jetmotor #1, Magenta, Mayhem (Nor), Sarcophag, The Young Godz) - on "Megiddo - Mother North In The Dawn Of A New Age" EP, rhythm guitar and guitar solo on "Tied In Bronze Chains", rhythm guitar on "Prime Evil Renaissance" and "Supersonic Journey" ("Rebel Extravaganza" 1999).
- Sanrabb (1999) (also known as: Sanrabb Aske, Morten) (Gehenna (Nor), ex-Blood Red Throne, ex-Forlorn (Nor), Shadow Season (guest), ex-122 Stab Wounds, ex-Cobolt 60, Haggis, The Deviant) - session live
- Snorre W. Ruch (also known as: S.W. Krupp, Blackthorn) (Mayhem (Nor), Thorns) - performed riff contribution on "Havoc Vulture", guitar contribution on "A Moment Of Clarity", "Filthgrinder" and "The Scorn Torrent" ("Rebel Extravaganza").
- Tchort (Terje Vik Schei) (1997-1999) (Blood Red Throne, Carpathian Forest, Einherjer, ex-Emperor, Green Carnation, Saducismus Triumphatus, Servants Of The Realm, Valgalder)
- Samoth (Thomas Thormodsæter Haugen) (Zyklon, ex-Thou Shalt Suffer, ex-Gorgoroth, ex-Xerasia, Zyklon-B (Nor), ex-Ildjarn (session), ex-Burzum, ex-Arcturus (Nor), Scum (Nor), Embryonic, Emperor)
- Fenriz (Gylve Nagell, also known as: Hank Amarillo, Lee Bress, Gribb) (Aura Noir, Cadaver Inc, Darkthrone, DJ Ebola, Dødheimsgard, Eibon (Nor), Isengard (Nor, Neptune Towers, Seth (Nor), Strid, Storm, Thorns, Ulver, Valhall, Vombator) session. Also wrote some lyrics for ''Nemesis Divina'' album, and performed percussion on ''Rebel Extravaganza'' album.
- Ingar Amlien (018, Conception, Crest Of Darkness, Dark Side (Nor), One 2 Many, Roquefire) on "Intermezzo II" EP ("A Moment Of Clarity" and "INRI")
- Daimon (Richard Cabeza) (Dismember, Murder Squad, Damnation (Nor), Unanimated, Born of Fire (Swe), Carbonized (Swe), General Surgery, Dark Funeral) - session
- Tyr (Jon Erik Torgersen) (Emperor, Cyclone, Borknagar, Grail (Nor), Morpheus Web, Perished, Vintersorg, Decode) - session
- Exhurtum (Carl-Michael Eide) (Ulver, Dødheimsgard, Ved Buens Ende, Virus (Nor), Cadaver Inc, Infernö, Aura Noir)
Joey Jordison (2004 session live) (Slipknot, Murderdolls, Modifidious, ex-Anal Blast, ex-Ministry)
- Trym Torson (Kai Johnny Mosaker) (2004 session live) (Enslaved (Nor), Emperor, Zyklon, Imperium (Nor), Tartaros (Nor), Shadow Season, Paganize, Ceremony, Old Man's Child)
Session synth, grand piano:
- S.S. (Steinar Sverd Johnsen) (Arcturus (Nor), ex-Covenant (Nor), Mortem (Nor))
- Geir Bratland (The Kovenant, Apoptygma Berzerk)
- Torden - Session Keyboards on "Dark Medieval Times"
- Ivar Bjørnson (also known as Ivar Peersen, D. Ymer, Daimonion P., h. m. Daimonion) (session live keyboards 2003) (Bloodflowers, Borknagar, Crocodiles, Desekrator, Enslaved (Nor), Gorgoroth, Mysticum, Obnoxious, Phobia (Nor), Vulcana)
- Grothesk (Stephan Groth) (Apoptygma Berzerk) on "Megiddo - Mother North In The Dawn Of A New Age" EP.
- Ihsahn (Vegard Sverre Tveitan) (Arcturus (Nor), Darkthrone, Emperor, Thou Shalt Suffer, Wongraven, Ildjarn, Peccatum, Zyklon-B (Nor), Ulver) - session
- Kine Hult (Gehenna (Nor), The Kovenant) - session live
- Svartalv (Destroyer, Kenneth) (Aiwas, Aeternus, Gehenna (Nor), Nocturnal Breed, Carpe Tenebrum) - session
- Torden (Tove) (1993) - session
- Anja Garbarek - on "Ten Horns - Ten Diadems" exclusive track "Serpent's Rise" and "Volcano" album
- Nebelhexë (Andrea Haugen, also known as Nebel) (Aghast (Nor), Cradle of Filth, Hagalaz' Runedance / Nebelhexë, Nacht (Nor)) - spoken part on "The Dawn Of A New Age" ("Nemesis Divina").