DIES IRAE BIOGRAPHY
There are at least four different Dies Irae groups. One being a death metal act similar to Vader, the second being a Mexican progressive melodic death metal group and the third a Romanian black metal band with industrial influences, and finally a German prog band from the 70s and last but not least a hardcore-punk band from Žilina (Slovakia).DIES IRAE GENRES
1) Dies Irae was formed in 1992 as very young death metal band featuring China (guitar), Mauser (guitar and vocals), Czarny (bass) and Gilan (drums). 1994 marked the recording of their debut demo titled "Fear of God" which was released by Serenades Records two years later. The demo comprised of typical death metal tracks and guitar variations as introductions. In 1997 Mauser joined the band Vader and Dies Irae split up. Four years later Mauser signed contract with Massive Management, whose artist roster consists of such bands as Vader, Sceptic, Decapitated and many others, and started looking for new members to his band. With help of Doc (Vader), Novy (Devilyn) and Hiro (Sceptic) the band prepared material for full debut album.
On 5 June, 2000 Dies Irae entered the Selani Studio to record their debut album. Titled Immolated, it was produced by Szymon Czech, and graphically designed by Jacek Wisniewski, who had been previously responsible for several Vader's cover artworks ("Kingdom," "Black to the Blind," " Live In Japan"). Immolated was mastered at Studio 333 by Bartłomiej Kuźniak who is responsible for Vader's masters. All lyrics are written by Łukasz Szurmiński.
Following the promotional mailing of Immolated the band received a number of contract offers from such labels from Europe and the States. Finally, Dies Irae signed a four albums contract with premiere worldly label Metal Blade Records, which represents the band in the world except Poland and Japan. In Poland they are under Metal Mind flag, in Japan they are representated by Avalon/Marquee Inc. Both labels also manage Vader. The debut album was released in November of 2000 and its promo campaign was backed up with a video-clip for the track "Lion of Knowledge". The album itself comprises 9 cuts, including two cyber-industrial intros performed by Doc. Dies Irae are also prepared for their first European tour with Nile in January of 2001.
On April/May 2002 the band entered Hertz Studio to record their second full lenght album The Sin War. The date of release got re-scheduled on September, because of technical problems with the CD-Masters. The album contains more complex and diverse songs, with huge impact of all band's members into the final result, especially excellent ideas of Jacek Hiro. The band was forced to postpone the autumn tour due to Vader's obligations.
On July, 2003 Dies Irae for the first time appeared on the stage. During the "Empire Invasion Tour 2004" they played alongside bands like Hate, Lost Soul and Esqarial. The deal with Metal Blade was terminated and shortly after the band signed a new deal with MMP, including new album and DVD releases. The third and latest effort Sculpture of Stone was recorded at Hertz Studio and includes 9 songs. The album was released in Poland on 19th of May in 2004 and the band hit the road again, playing 9 gigs along with bands like Trauma, Sceptic, Shadows Land. Vitek from Decapitated replaced Doc, due to his hand injury. Japanese, European and US releases of Sculpture of Stone has been fixed on autumn 2004. At the beginning of 2005 at TV Studio Dies Irae shot a gig for the forthcoming DVD release and in February they hit the road along with bands like Decapitated, Hate and Crionics within the confines of "The Ultimate Domination Tour 2005".
All members of the reconstituted Dies Irae continue to perform with other groups. Novy and Mauser is a member of Vader, while Hiro is a member of Sceptic.
2) Mexican progressive melodic death metal, released two albums named "Etherial" and "Naïve". Very inspired by the Melodic Death Metal scene from Sweden with bands like Edge of Sanity and Dark Tranquillity.
3) Dies Irae was born in November 1995, as a Bucharest metal group. They recorded the first demo (containing 2 songs) in 1996 and set out to promote it on television and radio.
Four years of intense live activity followed. The band recorded two official releases, an EP in 1996 and an LP in 1998.
The year 2000 saw the release of a new Dies Irae EP, Warganism, and the first Dies Irae video, for the song with the same name. This year also saw the band split up, as Victor Stoica went to the United States to complete his studies. In 2001, Dies Irae started a side project, PHOBIA, a project that lasts to this day.
In 2005, Victor Stoica returned to Romania and the band recorded a new single, Shadow Boxing, to be released in 2006, along with a new video.
In 2006 Dies Irae has started an intense internet promotion campaign and also allied themselves with Khaeotica Productions, a German promotion company, in their effort to go international.
4) German hard rock band heavily influenced by Black Sabbath. Featured on the Nurse With Wound list, released one album, First in 1971.
5) American goth pop group from Minneapolis which was active from 1996 to 1999 and released one independent album called "Dogma." The group disbanded in 1999 shortly after playing the 8. Wave Gotik Treffen in Leipzig, DE. To differentiate from other bands with the same name, they also appear as Dies Irae !US.
Melodic Dark Death Metal
DIES IRAE LYRICAL THEMES
Death, sadness, darkness
DIES IRAE ORIGIN
Mexico (Leon, GTO), formed in 1991
DIES IRAE CURRENT RECORD LABEL
DIES IRAE STATUS
DIES IRAE CURRENT LINE-UP
Juan M. Dahern - Guitar, Vocals (The Ill Over Death)
Eduardo Gomez - Guitar, Vocals (The Ill Over Death)
Carlos Orozco - Bass
Luis "Tony" Martinez - Drums (ex-Souls on Fire)
DIES IRAE PREVIOUS LINE-UP
Luis Rico 1992-1996 Guitars
Gerardo Aguilera 1996-1996 Bass
Emmanuel Gomez 1996-1997 Bass
Luis Armel 2000-2000 Drums